- Develop, manage and deliver an effective external/internal communications programme in keeping with the charity’s mission, strategy, to increase the influence and impact of our work.
- Manage the external communications activities including overseeing relationships with external stakeholders, working in partnership with staff to support them in fulfilling their representational roles.
- Building relationships with probono experts in the field of Communications and PR.
- Work effectively with Senior Leadership Team to ensure external communication activities are co-ordinated with relevant processes and project-specific communications including Fundraising, Facilities and Programmes.
Overall Purpose of the Job
The Communications and Marketing Manager will be responsible for developing and implementing communications strategies that will improve awareness of our work amongst partners, beneficiaries, supporters and regular donors as well as external third parties.
The role will have responsibility for delivering our regular communications work including the further development and regular updating of our website, preparing regular email newsletters, supporting the planning and delivery of our events, managing the production of reports, developing and maintaining a social media presence.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Developing and implementing a communications strategy that furthers our objectives, using KPIs to measure success and areas of improvement.
- Delivery of the Communications Plan: Create and manage all communications.
- To write and design bespoke materials and high-quality writing to generate support.
- Create, manage and deliver messages clearly, professionally and with consistency to all audiences and supporters.
- Create and deliver agreed communications campaigns.
- Build relationships within the organisation and externally to support content gathering and impact of messaging.
- Advise and mentor colleagues to produce quality communications within their area.
Further development and updating of the website including
- Creating and writing regular updates for our news section.
- Keeping content up to date and appropriate on the website.
- Making improvements to functionality.
- Making recommendations to colleagues on maximising its potential.
- Communication measurement tools such as hit rate, click through, impressions and engagement.
- Liaising with the technical support provider to ensure website structure updates are implemented.
- Monitoring website use and effectiveness.
- Manage our social media channels, including developing a social media strategy and maintaining our voice on social media in line with our mission.
- To manage direct reports and matrix manage others to deliver on all communication objectives.
- Producing email newsletters for supporting working with the Fundraising Team (quarterly) including:
- Planning the content.
- Gathering news from our supporters.
- Writing and editing the copy.
- Designing the newsletter using an e-mail marketing software (currently Mail Chimp)
- Producing our annual publications (currently the Annual Report and an Impact Report) including:
- Supporting staff to prepare the copy.
- Proof reading and overseeing the design.
- Capturing, evaluating, and reporting on marketing and communications metrics to inform future strategies and activities.
- Providing communications support around events, webinars, report launches and any other activities to further engage with our supporters and beneficiaries.
Good candidates for this role will be high achievers with excellent English writing skills. They will be diplomatic and a strategic thinker, with well-developed inter-personal skills.
- Excellent written skills, with a strong attention to detail, and the ability to write and communicate key findings from quantitative and qualitative data analysis in a clear and compelling manner to a range of audiences
- Line management experience
- Excellent communication skills with ability to establish a rapport and communicate effectively with stakeholders at all levels and from all sectors
- A proven track record in communications and profile-raising, developing engaging and creative communications
- The ability to work accurately and effectively under pressure, prioritising workload to achieve deadlines.
- Excellent verbal, written communication and presentation skills.
- Empathy with the needs of young people and, ideally, experience of working in or with the charity sector.
- Working knowledge of current IT applications for communications.
- Computer literate with excellent knowledge of web page build, PowerPoint, graphics and social media scheduling
- Experience with CMS e.g. WordPress, Squarespace
- Digital marketing experience
Please email your CV and a covering letter of no longer than two pages demonstrating your suitability for this role to email@example.com FAO: Head of Operations